Saturday, March 6, 2010

A Running Tour

Wow, I can't believe it's been so long since our last post! A lot has happened, but I won't try to catch you up all at once. Eleanor's position at her school has changed a lot and now she's also teaching high school freshman half time. I'll let her tell y'all about that stuff later.

I'm planning a trip to Bulgaria at the end of this month. A short trip: just five days in Sofia, the capital. It has lots of nice parks and I'm hoping to do some jogging to explore.

We also have some friends coming to visit next week! Shelby and her boyfriend Andy. They'll be staying with us in our apartment for about a week and we're very excited to share our new home with them.

I've also started training for the Copenhagen Marathon, which is on May 23rd. Last week during a beautiful sunny day, I took my camera with me and stopped to take a bunch of pictures - it was a very slow run! This is a route that I run twice a week, sometimes more. I put all the pictures in our photostream on flickr, so if you want to see more hopefully you can just click on one and it'll take you there. It's a nice running route - it takes me over the Ataturk Bridge (which goes across the Golden Horn) and then I run up the shore of the Golden Horn. It goes pretty far inland. Hope you enjoy!

IMG_5444
These are some people fishing off the Ataturk Bridge. When the set their poles down to put on new bait, I sometimes have to do hurdles!

IMG_5451
These are some boats docked on the shore of the Golden Horn and an early blossom!

IMG_5465
A picture of my nice running path through some parks. To the right side you can see some Turkish people using the strange exercise machines that are in all the parks here.

IMG_5588
This is on the bridge with a mosque in the background. Next to the minaret you can see the Galata Tower sticking out - which is, of course, right next to our apartment.

More blog posts to come, we promise!
-Mike

1 comment:

Shelby said...

We're so excited to visit you next week! Andy says he wants to run with you, assuming he can keep up with you in marathon training mode. Hopefully we can catch each other sometime in the next few days to talk about plans while we're there. Can't wait!